Erev xt4? - Cadillac XT4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Red face Erev xt4?

The new Cadilac XT4 is very attractive, as it is smaller than the highly successful XT5 but better than my present Chevy Equinox. I wish for a hybrid or EREV version, using the Chevy Volt power train. This will give future XT4 owners the great economy of a plug-in electric vehicle, but adding the range extender of a small gasoline engine. The Volt's only weak feature is its small body style (a compact) with 4 1/2 sets, too small for many families.

Most families want some additional cargo space behind the rear seats, and this is why the Equinox is GM best selling CUV (and second best in the U.S.). If the new Cadillac XT4 fulfilles the same capacity as the Chevy Equinox, it will become a new best seller, probably outselling its larger brother the XT5. But add the EREV option, and GM will have Volt owners swapping for the XT4!

I also wish a pure BEV version, using the Chevy Bolt's power train, can be offered, too. Having over 250 EV miles of range can cover the needs for most potential XT4 owners, even for myself.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:13 PM

That would be nice, but I don't think Cadilac is planning to go full electric anytime soon and it's going to be hard to incorporate a large battery pack and motors into the XT4's existing platform.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

But if GM is flexible enough to create and sell the Buick Velite 5, which is a relabeled Chevy Volt, it can upscale the Volt power train to the Cadillac XT4 as it did for the CT6.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 PM

I think with the improvements to electric technology that range extenders for EV's will be unnecessary on future models. It would be pretty simple to implement a mild hybrid system on some Cadillac models though, that would replace the alternator with a more powerful electric engine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 PM

Maybe a plug-in hybrid as a future offering before they go full electric on the XT4. Somewhat of a tester to see how the public reacts to it before offering an electric only model and they'll need to work out the cost depending on where they can source the battery pack.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyCruise View Post
Maybe a plug-in hybrid as a future offering before they go full electric on the XT4. Somewhat of a tester to see how the public reacts to it before offering an electric only model and they'll need to work out the cost depending on where they can source the battery pack.
This is precisely what they need. EV's are a good long term strategy but Cadillac needs sustainable volume and quick. Taking a page from Lexus' book, Hybrids are the way to go. Hard to ignore one of the largest Luxury Hybrid car makers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page