XT4 to get NFC tech - Cadillac XT4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

XT4 to get NFC tech

Cadillac just announced that they will be incorporating NFC technology in the new XT4. This will reduce the hassle pairing your phone to the infotainment system, so long as they are within a 4 centimeter range. This wont eliminate the need the Bluetooth however, as its merely a supplement technology for quick connectivity without the need to enter passcodes or fumble through settings.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:44 PM

I have Samsung smartphones with both Bluetooth and NFC (Near Field Communications). I s=use NFC with Samsung Pay at Walgreens stores but its range is only inches. Yet for Bluetooth, I can connect headphones and my Galaxy watch at over thirty feet away. So I prefer Bluetooth and I can use my steering wheel controls to manage phone calls without taking the phone out of the case near my left pocket, which I presently do with my 2009 Chevy Equinox.

Setting the vehicle is a one-time job that takes only seconds to do. Simplifying this means they beieve new Cadillac customers are idiots that don't know how to pair a phone?

Last edited by Raymondjram; 08-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
I have Samsung smartphones with both Bluetooth and NFC (Near Field Communications). I s=use NFC with Samsung Pay at Walgreens stores but its range is only inches. Yet for Bluetooth, I can connect headphones and my Galaxy watch at over thirty feet away. So I prefer Bluetooth and I can use my steering wheel controls to manage phone calls without taking the phone out of the case near my left pocket, which I presently do with my 2009 Chevy Equinox.

Setting the vehicle is a one-time job that takes only seconds to do. Simplifying this means they beieve new Cadillac customers are idiots that don't know how to pair a phone?
That is what people want, otherwise brands like Apple wouldn't be as successful with smartphones.
It might also have to do with demographics, older demographics (expected with Cadillac) favor easy technology.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 01:19 PM

Seems like it may just be something they incorporated to add to their features list. Don't really see it be used all that much or making things any simpler for owners. Looks like they took a page out of Buicks book with the ability to pay for gas in your car lol.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

It does beg the question of what problem are they trying to solve with this technology. But I think you guys hit the nail on the head, with it really just being another checkmark in a list of standard features.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page