LED Reverse Lights? - Cadillac XT4 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

LED Reverse Lights?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what type of light bulb is used for the reverse lights. For some reason they are like an amber color instead of a bright white. I think the brighter/whiter LED bulbs would go better. Anyone know what type of bulb is used on the reverse lights?

thanks,
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM

If you are writing about the Cadillac XT4 reverse light lens, wait until the production models come out. Then visit the Cadillac dealer and see for yourself the correct color. The white LED chips may look yellow but they will emit a very bright white (with some blue) when powered on. I have such LEDs on my 2009 Chevy Equinox (bulb type 921) and they are extremely bright, even during daylight!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 AM

I found the Cadillac XT4 Owner Manual (see specific post), but on page 270 under "VEHICLE CARE" it mentions:

"Bulb Replacement

For the proper type of replacement bulbs, or any bulb changing procedure no listed in this section, contact your dealer.

Caution

Do not replace incandescent bulbs with aftermarket LED replacement bulbs. This can cause damage to the vehicle electrical system."

I find this worrying because I did replace ALL (100%) of the incandescent bulbs (interior and exterior) in my two previous GM vehicles (1995 Buick Regal LS, 2009 Chevy Equinox 2LT), and no damages have been "caused". On the next page (271), the illustration of the bulb for the "Back-up Lamps" looks like it is incandescent.

So if you need to know if the two backup lamps are "white" the dealer must power on the vehicle and shift into reverse to illuminate the lamps. Cadillac is warning owners not to replace those bulbs for LEDs.

Last edited by Raymondjram; 10-16-2018 at 10:57 AM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:26 PM

I bet its just GM's way to cover themselves in case of any electric issues that come about from changing bulbs which is rare.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Yeah this just seems like a cop out to prevent them from covering any damage that's done with aftermarket bulbs. I've never heard of any serious electrical issues arising from simply swapping out to better LED's though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 02:29 AM

Rarely have I seen car makers be okay with anything technical like this, only with much simpler situations they don't care.
Like air filter and oil filters, even getting those does anywhere but the dealer is fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info. I will keep you all posted and take pictures when I make these changes perhaps maybe a before and after.

thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caddy lights.jpg (122.5 KB, 7 views)

Felipe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Hi All, just got my new XT4 Sport a few weeks ago and was very surprised that the backup lamps are incandescent although the other bulbs on the car seem to be LED. I've always replaced all incandescent bulbs on all my vehicles with LEDs and have never encountered an issue until now. I've tried to replace the existing bulbs on my XT4 with 7440 T20 W21W LEDs. When I install one side, it works fine. But, as soon as I install the other side, the LEDs stay on (with a dim glow) despite the power being off. I've tried 3 different LEDs bulbs with the same issue. Today, I tried to use a load resistor, but still no luck. Has anyone had better luck?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page