A new luxury subcompact - Cadillac XT4 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

A new luxury subcompact

Hey guys,

New to the forum and eagerly awaiting some tidbits of information surrounding the new XT4. The subcompact segment has been exploding as of late and its great to see Cadillac offering consumers a luxury option. I know there isn't much for us to work from at this point, but I look forward to speculating with you guys as interest continues to grow.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:35 PM

Well we do have the new XT5 to refer to since just like the XT4 it is one of the newest Cadillacs to hit the market. It can be said the CT6 can provide some insight but its also in a much higher segment. Have you looked at those models?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I've looked extensively at the XT5, but I'm looking for something a little smaller. Also the XT5 seems to sit pretty low on the rankings of luxury SUV's for a variety of reasons including a weak powertrain. I'm hoping these issues have been addressed with Cadillacs latest offering.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emette View Post
Yeah I've looked extensively at the XT5, but I'm looking for something a little smaller. Also the XT5 seems to sit pretty low on the rankings of luxury SUV's for a variety of reasons including a weak powertrain. I'm hoping these issues have been addressed with Cadillacs latest offering.
Never thought its 3.6-liter V6 would feel weak in power. Under what conditions while driving it did you feel it being weak in power?
In the ATS in noticed a lot of people have been happy with this same powerplant.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I personally didn't find it weak, but a bunch of publications online, cited it as not exactly living up to luxury standards ( i.e Car and Driver). I think it was more based on what's found in its competitors such as the Macan, Q5 and XC60, which seem to offer more refined performance. It seems as though Cadillacs new electronic shifter leaves a lot to be desired.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emette View Post
I personally didn't find it weak, but a bunch of publications online, cited it as not exactly living up to luxury standards ( i.e Car and Driver). I think it was more based on what's found in its competitors such as the Macan, Q5 and XC60, which seem to offer more refined performance. It seems as though Cadillacs new electronic shifter leaves a lot to be desired.
Fair enough but I guess that's them just providing some perspective. The XT4 and similar Cadillac to me are just simple commuters, sort of like what you see from brands like Acura. No one expects a lot from Acura SUV's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM

I was also looking at the Cadillac XT5 as a replacement for my wife's 2009 Chevy Equinox but it is bigger and too expensive. She did see and like the Chevy Bolt EV but it is smaller. So the Cadillac XT4 may be "just right"

But I was expecting this new CUV to be either a hybrid (since it is built on the same Chevy Malibu E2XX platform which does have a hybrid power train and battery), or a EREV ( like the Chevy Volt, Buick Velite 5, or the discontinued Cadillac ELR). It does have "Start-Stop" engine management as a light hybrid but I want a true electric power train.

I have done test drives of the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (which are the only U.S. brand hybrids here in Puerto Rico) so I know how it feels and drives. The Chevy Malibu Hybrid is a sedan but I need a CUV, and this will limit my choice.

I can wait until next year and I expect the 2020 XT4 to offer the same Malibu Hybrid power train.

Last edited by Raymondjram; 04-02-2018 at 08:46 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondjram View Post
I was also looking at the Cadillac XT5 as a replacement for my wife's 2009 Chevy Equinox but it is bigger and too expensive. She did see and like the Chevy Bolt EV but it is smaller. So the Cadillac XT4 may be "just right"

But I was expecting this new CUV to be either a hybrid (since it is built on the same Chevy Malibu E2XX platform which does have a hybrid power train and battery), or a EREV ( like the Chevy Volt, Buick Velite 5, or the discontinued Cadillac ELR). It does have "Start-Stop" engine management as a light hybrid but I want a true electric power train.

I have done test drives of the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (which are the only U.S. brand hybrids here in Puerto Rico) so I know how it feels and drives. The Chevy Malibu Hybrid is a sedan but I need a CUV, and this will limit my choice.

I can wait until next year and I expect the 2020 XT4 to offer the same Malibu Hybrid power train.
I sure hope that with the addition of a hybrid powertrain that we also get some improvements to design that are also hybrid-specific.
Raymondjram likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 12:35 PM

I found two YouTube reviews of the XT4, considering how few vehicles are available for reviews:

I am expecting this forum to have its own review soon as the XT4 should be on sale next month (October).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM

I hate how reviewers obsess over soft touch materials especially when its in areas you'll rarely touch. A firm and comfortable steering wheel is always top priority for me, everything else is a bonus. my real concern will be how these panels and the overall interior build quality holds up, last thing I want are creaking panels!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page